IPM in Affordable Housing with Susannah Reese from StopPests.org
Susannah Reese leads the StopPests in Housing Program at Cornell University’s Northeastern IPM Center.
She coordinates the HUD and USDA inter-agency efforts to provide integrated pest management training and consultation in affordable housing.
Susannah holds a MS in natural resource management and has worked in Cooperative Extension as an educator for 13 years.
She lives in upstate NY.
StopPests aims to improve pest control in affordable housing by teaching everyone who works, lives, and plays in housing how to use integrated pest management (IPM).
Housed at the Northeastern IPM Center at Cornell University since 2007, StopPests has been bringing IPM to affordable housing across the country with funding from a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA-NIFA) interagency agreement.
Consultants provide FREE education, resources and training to staff and residents in cooperation with the contracted pest control service. The goal is to have all the players working together to create safer and healthier homes and workplaces for residents and staff.
Susannah shares the mos important points about IPM In Affordable Housing.
1. Taking control of bed bug prevention and maintenance with in-house management.
2. Bed bug myths and misinformation.
3. Getting away from the monthly spray cycle.
4. IPM does not have to be more expensive and can save costs in the long run.
5. Working with residents – how to promote reporting pests and encouraging residents to be active partners in pest control.
6. The problems and dangers residents taking pest control into their own hands.
7. Solutions and resources for working with residents with physical and mental challenges.
8. IPM logs, bed bug tracking forms and other helpful resources that make pest control in multifamily housing easier.
Bellow are some great link resources you can share with property managers to help you have more success.
Public Housing Environmental & Conservation Clearinghouse
Susannah Krysko Reese
StopPests in Housing
Northeastern IPM Center
340 Tower Rd.
Ithaca NY 14853